Drive Social and Emotional Learning
Today’s educators are taking a closer look at the non-academic skills and competencies children need to have in order to facilitate learning and succeed in society. We all develop these social and emotional learning (SEL) skills throughout our lives; they help us manage our emotions, relate to each other, and make decisions that not only affect our lives but everyone around us. Lerner has assembled a list of books that educators can use to help readers reflect on SEL characteristics, discuss values and decisions, examine characters’ responses to situations, and deepen their understanding of SEL skills. We identified the specific competencies using the CASEL Five, from the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning.
Five Core Competencies from CASEL
- The abilities to understand one’s own emotions, thoughts, and values and how they influence behavior across contexts. This includes capacities to recognize one’s strengths and limitations with a well-grounded sense of confidence and purpose.
- The abilities to manage one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations and to achieve goals and aspirations. This includes the capacities to delay gratification, manage stress, and feel motivation and agency to accomplish personal and collective goals.
- Social Awareness
- The abilities to understand the perspectives of and empathize with others, including those from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and contexts. This includes the capacities to feel compassion for others, understand broader historical and social norms for behavior in different settings, and recognize family, school, and community resources and supports.
- Relationship Skills
- The abilities to establish and maintain healthy and supportive relationships and to effectively navigate settings with diverse individuals and groups. This includes the capacities to communicate clearly, listen actively, cooperate, work collaboratively to problem solve and negotiate conflict constructively, navigate settings with differing social and cultural demands and opportunities, provide leadership, and seek or offer help when needed.
- Responsible Decision-Making
- The abilities to make caring and constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions across diverse situations. This includes the capacities to consider ethical standards and safety concerns, and to evaluate the benefits and consequences of various actions for personal, social, and collective well-being.
Download Our Social and Emotional Learning Catalog
Find books that help readers reflect on SEL characteristics, discuss values and decisions, examine characters’ responses to situations, and deepen their understanding of SEL skills.
Buy Digital, Get Print Books for Free
When you buy direct and spend $500 or more on any multi-user eBooks, Lerner Interactive Books, or Audisee eBooks with Audio, you can receive the hardcover edition of those books for free. Use promo code COMBO2 when ordering online or via customer service.
Take Your Order to Go!
On our site, you can purchase books directly or export a list to order from your vendor of choice. Click the "Add to Cart" button to add products to your list. Once you've finished, select the cart in the upper right-hand corner and click "View Cart." From there, you can choose to export your cart as an Excel spreadsheet or PDF.
Interested in Books to Support Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion?
Explore our diverse books hub:
Updated 2024-02-07 09:47:00 -0800. MK610-0521.